The Digital Everyone project is part of Salford’s aim to become a Digital City, an ambition which forms part of our wider vision for a better, fairer Salford to improve resident’s lives.
Digital Devices Appeal
Salford City Council's Device Donation Appeal
We believe that everyone should have access to a computer and social status should not stop that.
As a council, we’re doing all we can to help and we’re now appealing to Salford businesses and individuals - if you’re in a position to help, please consider doing so. Whether it’s a small financial donation, or if you could donate any unused laptops or tablets, we’d be enormously grateful and you’d be giving something back to your city and helping disadvantaged families and young people. Your donations are valuable to us, to help us support those who would otherwise be digital excluded. We are working with My Outsourced IT to data wipe and refurbish your donations and get them out to those who need them in our community. To find out more about My Outsourced IT’s green credentials visit My Green computing.
Donate a device
If you have unused tech at home and you would like to donate to this scheme by bringing it to one of our gateway centres - first of all thank you! Your donation could truly change the life of a resident who is otherwise unable to access this technology.
Before donating, check that:
- The device has no major physical damage (e.g. water damage or a cracked screen).
- It’s no older than seven years old.
- Is in working order.
- It has a functioning battery that can retain charge.
- It has had a factory reset (mandatory for Macbooks and all Apple devices and preferred for other devices, although we will also use professional software to wipe data from donated laptops).
- You’ve logged out of cloud-based storage or tracking software, such as Find My Device as this would render the device unable to be refurbished.
All tablets/netbooks donated should
- Have a working touchscreen, free from cracks
- Have a working camera
- Have video functionality
- Have WiFi/3G capabilities
- Have a battery which holds a charge for six or more hours at a time
- Be less than five years old
If the device donated doesn't quite fit the criteria for this scheme, please note it may be diverted to one of our other schemes running in the city, or, if necessary be recycled appropriately or used for parts to assist residents or schools.
Apply for a device
We are working to ensure nobody is left behind in this digital age. If you are struggling to access online learning, complete your online applications, arrange GP appointments, or are struggling to stay connected in today's digital environment and have no digital devices at home, this scheme could be for you.
We will be opening up applications soon so please watch this space!
Don't forget our teams are available at your local centres to help signpost you to some of our other great services and get you the help you need.
Call our Spirit of Salford Helpline if you have any questions on 0800 952 1000
or email us directly
Find your nearest Gateway or Hub.